How to Find the Perfect Accountant
Feb 13, 2023
"How to Find the Perfect Accountant”
By Ellen Rohr & Meaghan Likes
As an experienced accountant in the trades I often get asked this question… “How do I Find a Good Accountant” and I always reply with a picture of the pages from Ellen Rohr's books called “Where did the Money Go” and "How Much Should I Charge" where she first published this list. (I usually include links to where they can buy their own copy.)
Well this year, after answering this question over 10 times in one week - I finally reached out to Ellen and asked her if I could take her witty list, add my personal thoughts & experiences and co-publish it as a blog post. She kindly agreed and so here we are…
How to Find the Perfect Accountant!
When it comes to managing your finances, having the right accountant is absolutely essential. A good accountant not only helps keep you organized (and out of trouble) but can help you make better (& faster) decisions. They can help translate sometimes complex ideas and they should absolutely help you grow your business. But with so many options available, how do you know which accountant is right for you?
Here are Ellen’s ten key qualities to look for in a new accountant:
- A Focus on Helping You Make Money: A good accountant should be focused on helping you make as much money as possible. This means they should be constantly looking for ways to improve your bottom line and help you maximize your profits.
- Embraces Higher Prices: An accountant who loves when you raise your prices is a sign that they understand the value of your business and are invested in its success. This type of accountant will work with you to find the sweet spot where you can charge enough to cover your costs and make a healthy profit.
- Provides Relevant Information: A great accountant will ask you, "How can I help you get the kind of information you need to fine-tune this company?" They should be proactive in providing you with the information you need to make informed decisions.
- Personal Touch: An accountant who adds a smiley face next to the best numbers or takes the time to explain the details of your financial reports shows a personal touch and a genuine interest in your success.
- Thorough Understanding: A good accountant should offer to go over every line of the financial reports until you are confident you understand. They should be patient and willing to explain things in layman's terms, ensuring you have a complete understanding of your financial situation.
- Tax Awareness: A good accountant understands that taxes are a cost of doing business and will make sure your selling price is enough to cover this cost. They should have a deep understanding of tax laws and regulations and be able to help you minimize your tax liability.
- Employee Training: An accountant who offers to train your new data entry employees at their own cost is truly invested in your success. This shows they understand the importance of having accurate and consistent financial data and are willing to go the extra mile to help you achieve it.
- Successful Themselves: A good accountant should be successful in their own right. This shows that they have a deep understanding of the financial industry and are constantly staying up-to-date with the latest trends and best practices.
- Profits & Employee Benefits: An accountant who pushes you to start a fully funded profit-sharing plan and explore ESOP options is truly focused on helping you grow your business and create a stable financial future for yourself and your employees.
- Positive Attitude: A good accountant should have a positive attitude and a friendly demeanor. They should be approachable and easy to work with, making the financial management process a stress-free experience for you.
While finding the right accountant does take time and research, it is absolutely worth finding the best fit to help you reach your financial goals. By looking for an accountant who possesses these ten key qualities, you can be sure you have a trusted financial advisor who is invested in your success and will help your financial dreams come true.
If you’re interested in learning more about how Likes Accounting’s accountants help their clients achieve financial freedom you can book a one-on-one strategy session here. If you're looking for a tax accountant check out our top tips and tricks for finding one of those here!
Stay connected with news and updates!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from our team.
Don't worry, your information will not be shared.